IELTS Speaking Part 2
Describe a helpful person at work or school
You should say:
• Who it was
• What this person did
• How this person helped
And explain how you felt after this person helped you.
I would like to describe one of my teachers who taught me at high school, who had a great influence on me and was the person who helped me succeed in my university entrance examination. Her name is Linh and she taught me English for 3 years of high school and was also my form teacher. She was in her late 40’s then but looked young for her age.
I was really influenced by the way she taught us in class. Her thoroughness in teaching inspired me to study English, even though I had not been interested in it before. We never felt bored in her classes, she always told us interesting stories about British and American culture and people, and also organized some games so that we could learn new vocabulary and grammar effortlessly.
I remember that during the three months before the university entrance exam, which was the most important exam of my life, she had delivered some free classes for the students who weren’t quite up to standard, including myself. She patiently guided us through difficult questions and provided many useful tips to help deal with the test. Thanks to her effective teaching method and great dedication, I was able to pass the university
entrance exam with almost a perfect score in English.
Although I have graduated from high school and now study in Hanoi, I often visit her on the holidays and tell her about my daily life in the big city and she’s always available to give me some advice about any problems I have. I am forever grateful to have Mrs. Linh in my life.
1. to have a great influence on someone – to effect someone in a positive way
2. in one’s late 40’s – to be aged 47-49 years old
3. thoroughness – to include everything that is necessary
4. up to standard – to be at an average or above average level
5. effective teaching method – a teaching method that helps students learn easily
6. great dedication – a large amount of time and effort spent doing something important
7. forever grateful – to be thankful for a long time