IELTS Speaking Part 2
Describe a leisure activity near or on the sea
You should say:
• What it is
• What you should prepare
• Why you have to prepare
And explain how you feel about it.
I would like to talk about one of my favourite activities on the beach, swimming. You know, I live in Hai Phong, a coastal city with golden beaches and the nearest seashore is just fifteen minutes from my house. So, in the summer, my friends and I often go there and swim in the cool water to avoid the hot weather.
Actually, swimming is a relatively easy sport. I learned how to swim when I was about 8 years old and it took me only a week to get familiar with a number of swimming strokes, like breaststroke, backstroke and butterfly. Before entering the water, I often warm up and stretch my muscles and joints to avoid any injuries, then put on my swimsuit and jump right in.
I really enjoy swimming on the beach because of a few reasons. Firstly, unlike other water sports such as diving or windsurfing, which require costly equipment, swimming costs nothing. Secondly, swimming is extremely beneficial to our health. It provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of our muscles are used during swimming. It also builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness. Lastly, going swimming is a good means of recreation as it allows me to unwind, alleviate stress and have a great time with my friends.
Summer is coming so I’ll definitely make a plan to visit the beach soon. I intend to go to Nha Trang beach as it’s considered as one of the most magnificent beaches in the world.
1. coastal city – a city that is located along the coast or near the ocean
2. golden beaches – beautiful beaches with golden coloured sand
3. swimming strokes – swimming styles
4. warm up – to get your body warm and ready for exercise
5. stretch my muscles and joints – to extend your muscles and body parts to help relax it
6. injuries – pain or damage to a part of the body eg. a cut, bruise or broken bone etc
7. costly – expensive
8. beneficial – good for you
9. all-over body workout – exercise that works all parts of your body
10. builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness – to improve different aspects of physical fitness
11. means of – a way of, or form of
12. unwind – to relax
13. alleviate stress – relax, reduce stress