IELTS Speaking Part 2
Describe an interesting event
You should say
• What the event was
• How you knew about this event
• Why it was so interesting
And explain your feelings towards this event.
Well, the event that I want to share with you today is my best friend’s wedding, which took place 3 weeks ago and left a deep impression on me. I received a phone call from her last month and she told me that she was going to be tying the knot soon, and to be honest, I had been waiting for this to happen for quite a long time since both the bride and groom are close friends of mine, and I know them quite well. And since they are such
close friends of mine, I knew that I would have to take part in this special occasion at all costs.
So there were several things that made her wedding such a wonderful day. Firstly, I was quite impressed by the way the room was decorated with lots of lights, candles and roses, which really created a cosy and romantic atmosphere. Secondly, the wedding was held in quite a modern way, which I found really great as I had only previously been to more traditional kind of weddings before.
One of the moments that really surprised me though was when the groom got up and sang a song for the bride and all the guests sang along with him. Many people even got up to dance. He also played a video clip of himself that he had made where he expressed his love and appreciation for his bride, which was very touching, and I think I even shed a tear.
And the last thing I really enjoyed about being involved in the wedding was that it gave me the chance to meet many of my friends who I hadn’t seen for a long time. We made use of this opportunity to take a lot of photos with one another and the newly-weds, of course.
1. a deep impression – a strong effect or influence
2. tying the knot – getting married
3. bride and groom – the female and male getting married
4. at all costs – a must, regardless of the price or effort required
5. cosy – comfortable and pleasant
6. appreciation – to be thankful or grateful towards someone
7. touching – making you feel emotional
8. shed a tear – to cry a little bit
9. newly-weds – a couple who is just married