IELTS Speaking Part 2
Describe one of your best friends
You should say:
• What this person looks like
• When and where you met this person
• What you do when you are together
And explain why he/she is one of your best friends.
Well, the person I’d like to talk to you about is a very good friend of mine, Mai. She must be one of the nicest and most down-to-earth individuals I know.
If I were to describe how she looks I would say Mai is a very gorgeous and charming girl who always attracts a lot of attention from men. She is much taller than me so it’s kind of embarrassing standing next to her to be honest. Mai also has straight brown hair and deep, dark brown eyes. Like most teenagers, she pays a lot of attention to her appearance and likes dressing in the latest and most snazzy fashion. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in a plain old T- shirt or jeans.
Anyway, we’ve basically known each other since forever because we were in the same class from high school through to college. You know, the first time I met her, she left a deep impression on me because on the first day at school, I got lost while trying to find my classroom and she was my saviour. Coincidently, we were arranged by the teacher to become desk-mates.
And with regards to why she became my bestie, well, I guess the main reason is that we really hit it off right from the start, and we also see eye to eye on a lot of things such as fashion, sport and even video games. She is my closest friend so I feel like we can share everything together, from schoolwork to our love lives. The thing I admire most about Mai is that she is really protective and likes to look after people.
As a normal human being, however, Mai also has her shortcomings. She’s never on time, and is sometimes quite absent-minded and inconsiderate and that makes people think she never takes things seriously. But I don’t think this is true. She has a strong sense of responsibility and I know that I can always rely on her. For me, friendship is the most important thing in the world and I am proud to say that I have such a loyal and helpful
friend – she’s really one in a million.
1. down-to-earth – practical, reasonable and friendly
2. gorgeous – very beautiful or attractive
3. charming – very nice or pleasant
4. snazzy – modern or stylish, attracts attention
5. since forever – for a long time
6. deep impression – a strong effect or influence
7. saviour – a person who saves someone from harm or danger
8. coincidently – an occasion when two or more things happen at the same time in a way that is unlikely or surprising
9. desk-mates – to sit next to or share a desk with someone
10. bestie – best friend
11. hit it off – to get along well with or become good friends with someone
12. see eye to eye – to agree with someone or to have the same opinion as them
13. love lives – romantic relationships
14. shortcomings – a fault, weakness or disadvantage
15. absent-minded – to be forgetful or easily distracted
16. inconsiderate – not thinking or worrying about someone else or their feelings
17. one in a million – very special or unique