IELTS Speaking Part 2
Describe your favourite piece of clothing
You should say:
• Where you got it
• When you got it
• How often you wear it
And explain why it is your favourite piece of clothing.
Well, I would like to tell you about a pair of ripped jeans that are my favorite item among all the things I have in my wardrobe.
You know, I bought them for an unbelievably cheap price a long time ago in a second-hand clothing store. At that point, ripped jeans were really popular and everybody in my school was keen on them. So, whenever I put these jeans on, I felt really stylish and thought I really stood out from the crowd. After a while though, trends started to change, but I refused to abandon my jeans. I wore them almost everywhere, from home to school and only changed them for formal events such as a ceremony or a wedding. Sometimes I even slept in my jeans because they were so comfortable.
Actually, it is quite easy to understand why I fancy these jeans so much. Firstly, they instantly create a stylish and fashionable look for the wearer. Secondly, jeans are easy to mix and match and I can wear them with heaps of different shirts without worrying about looking ridiculous in other people’s eyes. And lastly, denim is so tough that it can’t be torn, so I can have them for a long time and save a great deal of money.
All in all, I love my jeans and cannot get through a day without them. I think such an item should be made trendy again so that the youngsters nowadays can really get to know their awesomeness.
1. unbelievably cheap – really cheap
2. second-hand – used, not new eg. second-hand clothes or furniture
3. at that point – at that time
4. keen on – really like
5. stylish – looking good, fashionable
6. stood out from the crowd – looked different from everyone around them
7. abandon – to leave someone or something behind
8. fancy – like
9. mix and match – change different styles or colours
10. heaps – a lot of, many
11. ridiculous – silly or stupid
12. in other people’s eyes – from someone else’s perspective
13. denim – the material that jeans are made of
14. a great deal of – a large amount
15. get through a day – to finish a day
16. trendy – to look fashionable, stylish